Laser Hair Removal – Pre & Post Treatment Instructions
Pre Laser Hair Removal Treatment Instructions
- Avoid Tanning and direct sun exposure for 2 weeks prior to each treatment.
- Apply a sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater every day for the duration of treatments.
- Apply Topical products as instructed prior to treatment to prepare the skin.
- Discontinue use of any products containing high strength alpha hydroxy acids (such as glycolic and lactic acids) and prescription retinoids (such as Retin-A) 1-2 weeks prior to treatment if being used on the area of treatment
- Consult with your personal physician before starting treatment if any skin lesions in the treatment areas have changed, itched, or bled.
- Treatment areas must be free of any open sores, lesions, or skin infections.
- Please leave a test patch of hair so we can evaluate the coarseness and color.
Post Laser Hair Removal Treatment Instructions
- Immediately after the treatments, there may be redness and bumps at the treatment area, which may last up to 2 hours or longer. It is normal for the treated area to feel like sunburn for a few hours. You should use a cold compress if needed. If any crusting, apply antibiotic cream. Some physicians recommend aloe vera gel or some other after sunburn treatment. Darker pigmented people may have more discomfort than lighter skin people and may require the aloe vera or an antibiotic ointment longer.
- Makeup may be used after the treatment unless there is epidermal blistering. It is recommended to use new makeup to reduce the possibility of infection. Just make sure that you have a moisturizer under your makeup. In fact, moisturizer will help the dead hair exfoliate from the follicle, so use moisturizer frequently and freely on the treatment area. Any moisturizer without alpha-hydroxy acids will work.
- Avoid sun exposure to reduce the change of dark or light spots for 2 months. Use sunscreen SPF 25 or higher at all times throughout the treatment and for 1-2 months following.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. DO NOT USE any other hair removal methods or products on the treated area during the course of your laser treatments, as it will prevent you from achieving your best results.
- You may shower after the laser treatments, and use soap, deodorant, etc. The treatment area may be washed gently with mild soap. Skin should be patted dry and not rubbed. You may apply deodorant after 24 hours.
- Anywhere from 5-20 days after the treatment, shedding of the hair may occur and this may appear as new hair growth. This is not new hair growth, but dead hair pushing its way out of the follicle. You can help the hair exfoliate by washing or wiping with a washcloth.
- Hair re-growth occurs at different rates on different areas of the body. New hair growth may not occur for up to three weeks after treatment.
Please note: Stubbles, representing dead hair being shed from the hair follicle, will appear within 10-20 days from the treatment date. This is normal and will fall out quickly.